Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Scrambled Eggs, Kinda Italian

Before we go any further, I will admit that I am not the breakfast maker in our household. See, I have this undying obsession with eggs over easy and The Fiance is much, much, much better at making them. So he usually makes breakfast. And believe me, I don't complain.

Unfortunately there are some times when he is too busy to do his time honored duty. (Damn those college essays!) So then I have to trudge to the kitchen and figure out what looks quick and easy.

Another thing I have to admit: I can't make omelettes. I don't have the patience to let the eggs set. I start poking at them with the spatula and before you know it I have a pan full of lovely yellow chunks. Delicious, but definitely not an omelette.

So anyway, back to my foray into breakfast.

I discovered a number of leftover stuff in my fridge and set up putting it together. The result left no complainers. (As if The Fiance would survive complaining about my cooking!)

Scrambled Eggs, Kinda Italian
-6 eggs
-liberal splash of milk
-half handful of fresh parsley, rough chopped
-teaspoon or so of minced garlic
-salt & pepper to taste
-two slices of pancetta, diced
-2-3 scallions, diced
-handful of fresh baby spinach
-hunk of fresh mozzarella, ripped into small chunks

Break six eggs into any bowl large enough to hold them. Fish out any bits that insisted on breaking from the shell. Use a fork or whisk to quickly break the yolks and mix them into the whites. Add as much milk as your heart desires, I'd recommend about 1/3 cup but that's just me. Throw in the parsley, the garlic and salt and pepper the whole thing. And stir again. Get the mixture kind of frothy - you want to add some air to the eggs so they cook up fluffy.

In a nice, warm pan on medium heat, add a splash of olive oil and dump in the pancetta. Spread it out nicely and let it brown up. Then stir around and add in the scallions and baby spinach. When the spinach looks mostly done, pour the egg mixture on top. I'm kind of obsessive (have you noticed that?) so I tend to grab a plastic splatula and scrape out every last drop.

Then step back. I know, I know your fingers must itch to grab that wooden spoon or silicone spatula and ram it right into the poor, defenseless eggs, wiggling them around willy nilly. Mine do.

But resist that urge!

Let the eggs set up a bit. Then begin to push the cooked bits towards the middle and gently tilt the pan so the liquidy goo can distribute at the edges. Repeat until the eggs are almost done, all beautiful curds of green and brown specked golden goodness. Now add the mozzarella chunks, stir a few times and take the pan off the heat so the cheese can melt slowly but the eggs don't overcook.

At this point, I'm going to recommend eating.

Have I mentioned I love eggs?

Happy breakfast!

-Vixen

No comments: