Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Breakfast Experiment: Baked French... Canned Biscuits?

It was a lovely, lazy morning.

The Fiance and I ignored the sunlight stubbornly invading our bedroom, dug deeper into the covers and had a glorious sleep-in.

We don't get too many of those.

In the spirit of enjoying the day, we decided to forgo our usual breakfast (eggs over easy, bacon, toast) and do something different.

The Fiance decided he wanted toast. And who am I to argue when a loving male creature is offering me tasty treats?

So off he went. He dug out the eggs and milk, mixed those well, added sugar and cinnamon, mixed again.

Then he went to the closet to get the bread.

...and there was none.

So there we were.

The Fiance.

Me.

And a bowl of forlorn egg mixture.

Then, we were generously joined by inspiration.

I tend to buy canned biscuits whenever they're on sale without any regard for whether or not we need any. I stockpile them if you will. Because you just never know when they might come in handy.

And this, this was their day to shine. Or try to, anyway.

I got out a reasonably deep pan, buttered in and then filled it with buttermilk biscuits. Then I poured the egg mix over them and added more brown sugar. And baked the whole shebang at 400.

I admit it. It was eh. All the liquid evaporated. The biscuits didn't absorb any goodness in the middle. Overall a middling success.

So I moved the remains of the cooked biscuits into a smaller pan, made a new egg mixture with a ton of milk, added vanilla, and used a spatula to break up the biscuits into bits. This time I baked it at 350 (or maybe 375?).

It took much longer this time but reports say it all worthwhile.

Next time I plan to do this:

Baked French Biscuits
-2-3 eggs
-good splash or three of milk
-vanilla extract
-orange flower water
-brown sugar
-cinnamon
-2 cans of buttermilk biscuits

Make the egg mixture with all the ingredients (I didn't give amounts cause really it's all about what YOU want) except the biscuits. The orange flower water is sort of a secret ingredient that will make give that "Hm, what's that?" sort of hint to the dish but you can omit it or use orange extract just as easily. Do what moves you.

Preheat the oven to 350. Butter the pan and dust with brown sugar. Trust me, don't skip this step. Then carefully chop up the biscuits. Use a light hand when you do it so as not to deflate them too much. Drop them into the pan and pour the mixture over them. Add some more brown sugar for fun. Then bake till it looks done.

No comments: