Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Potato Cakes Experiment

I admit it. I'm a potato girl. I love them pretty much any which way... mashed, baked, fried, with toppings, without toppings... Well you get the picture.

So it just so happened that after the Food Glut that is Thanksgiving, The Fiance and I ended up with a rather impressive load of leftovers, among which delicious, delicious mashed potatoes figured prominently. Now I'm not much for eating the same thing in the same way... (though The Fiance would have been perfectly happy just to heat a bowl of potatoes and chomp on it as he gleefully romped through his new computer game...) The dilemma before me then was how to perk up the poor spuds.

This was my solution. I had some leftover roasted carrots and onions, about a cup and a half I'd say, so I mashed them up. Then I threw in about three cups of mashed potatoes. Now this is all pretty approximate but don't worry you really can't get this wrong. Two eggs and a couple of handfuls of flour made the whole thing into a a type of batter. Some salt, pepper, a little garlic... Season as you like. Then I used a standard ice cream scoop and popped the cakes onto a foil covered and sprayed down cookie sheet. In the oven they went at 375 and when they were almost done they got a nice cheese treatment - cheddar but use any you like. The cheese melted and became like a little blanket over the yummy potato rounds.

The cakes were soft, slightly orange from the carrots and the cheese and very yummy, subtly flavored with the veggies and the garlic. I think though next time I'm going to let them brown before adding cheese as they were a little too soft for me.

Now keep in mind, you can really throw in any veggie you like. Even something crunchy and diced up to give the cakes more texture... Hmm that actually sounds nice... And you really can't fail this. Easy, pretty and delicious. Leftovers at their best.

Happy Eating,
-Vixen

No comments: