Sunday, August 19, 2007

Perking up the end days of summer

For most Americans summer means one very important thing: barbeque.

The Fiance definitely can't get enough of grilled burgers and hotdogs and steaks.

I however tend to get bored of it all pretty easily. Maybe it's that I'm an immigrant and didn't see my first burgers until I was 9.

My parents however got into the barbeque thing too. They bought a giant, shiny gas grill and proudly positioned it in the back yard. As my mother believes I am the queen of marinades, it generally falls to me to prep anything she didn't buy pre-marinated.

Yesterday that was the shrimp. I love shrimp. I think they're sweet, delicious morsels of yumminess. That was what inspired me. I apologize for lack of amounts but I never measure.

-1lb peeled, deveined shrimp
-good splash of olive oil
-good splash of ume plum vinegar
-healthy dash of basil
-crushed up bay leaf or two
-pinch or two of paprika
-salt and pepper to taste
-crushed and minced garlic, 4-5 cloves (add or subtract to taste)
-small splash of lemon juice
(I didn't have any cayenne but I would have added a little if I did.)

Mix up the marinade in a bowl. Dump in the shrimp. You want for there to be about a half cup of marinade on the bottom of the bowl as the shrimp absorbs the marinade slowly and what is left over should be used to baste the shrimp as they grill. Give it about a half hour to sit before putting the shrimp on skewers (if they're wooden skewers, soak them beforehand for a few hours) and plopping them on the grill. Baste them occasionally and cook until opaque and pink.

Serve the shrimp as an appetizer or over a fresh spinach salad with an oil and vinegar dressing.

I got a lot of requests for the recipe from family but I merely smiled mysteriously and so should you. After all they won't be impressed when they find out how easy it is.

Happy Grilling!
-Vixen

No comments: