Saturday, February 17, 2007

Oatmeal Deluxe (Male-tried, male-approved)

I never particularly liked oatmeal. But when I graduated from college and found a full-time job, I started on those dissolvable oatmeal packets because, hey, I had to eat *something*. Well, that stuff is... not really great tasting. It has waaaay too much salt and sugar and something sour-tasting (preservatives? why on earth does dry oatmeal need preservatives?!)

So, I complained to mom, mom told grandma, and grandma told my great-aunt in Israel. That's how my family normally operates. And great-aunt said that she never buys any of that instant oatmeal and instead makes her own -- better tasting and healthier.

I tried it her way and was smitten. Yes. I was smitten by oatmeal. No, I don't have low expectations.

So, here goes, the recipe of The Oatmeal, enough for two people.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of fat-free milk OR 2 cups of regular milk mixed with cold water in 2:1 proportion.
  • a handful of large white raisins (I have small hands and love raisins, so I add two :)
  • chopped nuts
  • 2/3 (two-thirds) of a cup of whole oatmeal. Quaker whole grain oats work great for me.
Posted by Picasa
  1. Bring milk to a mild boil (watch it! don't leave the kitchen or you'll have a lot of cleanup afterwards. Boiling milk has a temper.).
  2. Add raisins and nuts, let simmer* for a couple of minutes.
  3. Add oatmeal.
  4. Stir. Cover (not completely, let the steam escape). Repeat as needed. Insert programmer joke of your choosing here.
  5. After the oat grains are nice and soft, turn off the heat and cover the pot completely. Let stand for 5 minutes. Keep in mind that milk is not going to absorb completely -- you'll see some liquid on the sides of the pot. That's good and means the oatmeal won't be dry.
  6. Stir one more time, ladle out and enjoy!

I used to make enough for three days, stick it into a thermos and not worry about breakfast for three days. Now that I start work at 8, though, I don't really have time to eat at home and instead grab a bowl of oatmeal at work. It's not nearly as good, but I add whole red grapes instead of sugar, and it tastes amazing.

The best part? The Very Insanely Picky Boyfriend Unit (VIP BU or just BU) said, after cleaning out his bowl: "this is very cool!"

---

* Would the Vixen be so kind as to put up a glossary of all of those cooking terms? In normal life, I very rarely feel that English is only my second language, but cooking terms never fail to remind me.

1 comment:

Vixen said...

Simmering is cooking something just below the boiling point. So you never quite let it come to a boil.

We should set up a glossary though. Let's talk.